I remember welcoming this year with optimism and hope on the basis that it just can’t be any worse than last year. After the pandemic started in 2020, many asked if this year would be the year of recovery. As it turned out, we still have a long way to go, but then, who knows if we ever return to the pre-pandemic times. Healing is not linear and takes time as well as a lot of effort. I have also experienced this in my private life with my own journey of recovery following my accident. So what are the ten best quotes that helped me on my healing journey during my first year of recovery?
Before I list my top ten quotes, I would like to share something I learnt about healing in my first year of recovery. Six weeks before the end of 2020, I had a terrible accident that I’m still recovering from. The year has taught me that recovery is a long path with many setbacks and u-turns along the way. It’s not possible to fully plan your recovery and expect that everything goes according to plan. You need to take each day as it comes. And whilst healing may not be easy, it is without a doubt worth it!
Ten best recovery quotes that will encourage you on your healing journey
1. “Be gentle with yourself. You are doing the best you can” (Paulo Coelho) – be kind to yourself. You are doing your best. Selflove and compassion are so important in recovery.
2. “Do not rush, for God’s secret is patience. Everything that is meant to be, will come at the designated time” (Leon Brown) – if God is so patient with us, we need to learn to be patient with ourselves too. ‘Be patient’ was probably the phrase that I have heard most during my recovery. And whilst hearing it from every side may get slightly annoying as time goes on, it’s so important and necessary. So be patient. Everything will come at the right time.
3. “The process of healing does not end when the wounds are no longer visible – it ends when the wounds no longer ache” (Muskan Sharma) – this is an excellent reminder that pain is not always visible. And to recover fully, we may need to recover inside as well as from the outside. However long it takes.
4. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fail” (Ralph Waldo Emerson) – the fact is that you will most certainly fail at some stage, and perhaps more than once, but this is ok. Setbacks are part of recovery. Just get up and try again. You will get there!
5. “Forgiveness is no longer an option but a necessity for healing” (Caroline Myss) – don’t be angry with yourself just because you are not where you thought you would be by now. To heal, you need to forgive yourself. So learn to do so.
6. “Don’t rush your healing, don’t pretend to be okay when you’re not and don’t apologise for being broken” (Lizelle Gutierrez) – this quote sums it up perfectly. You can’t rush your healing. It may sound counterintuitive, but you will get there quicker by slowing down. So don’t feel guilty about taking your time. And be honest with yourself and others. Honesty is crucial when you are healing.
7. “It’s ok to not be ok, but it’s not ok to stay that way” (Perry Noble) – you will have ups and downs in recovery. Some days will be better than others, and that’s ok. Feel what you need to feel, cry when you need to cry, but then move on. You have work to do.
8. “No one can listen to your body for you… To grow and heal, you have to take responsibility for listening to it yourself” (Jon Kabat-Zinn) – your body knows what it needs, so listen to it. Don’t disregard the messages your body is trying to tell you. Others don’t know how you feel. Only you know, and you need to act accordingly. Respect your body and listen to what it’s telling you.
9. “Healing takes time, and asking for help is a courageous step” (Mariska Hargitay) – asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It actually takes a strong person to do so. You are not a burden just because you can’t do certain things by yourself whilst recovering. You are human, and no one will think anything less of you because you ask for help.
10. “Your wound is probably not your fault, but your healing is your responsibility” (Denice Frohman) – what happened to you may well not be your own fault but no one else can recover for you so you need to take responsibility for it. You want to get better, and you can do it!
This is a quote from me to you: “You survived the worst, you will survive the recovery” (you can view it also on IG, TikTok or Pinterest) – I’m not saying that recovery isn’t hard. I only want to tell you that you can do it! It may take longer than you thought. It will take patience and perhaps everything you have, but you will find that strength inside you and you will make it.
Which of these encouraging quotes is your favourite?
Whatever you are going through. Wherever you are in your recovery, be kind to yourself. You are healing, you are growing, and it takes time. You can see how long it takes the world to deal with and recover from the pandemic but I’m sure that it will do so one day and so will you! Someone once said to me that ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’, and I can second this. And look how beautiful the city is!
Healing is not linear, and it is very personal. No one can do it for you. But also, no one is in your shoes, so only you know how much it took to get to where you are. Therefore don’t feel ashamed or guilty. Instead, be proud of how far you have come, celebrate your success. No success is too small in recovery!
I hope that these encouraging recovery quotes will help you on your healing journey. And whenever you are in doubt, pray, ask God to show you which path to take. He is listening, and He’s always with you. So don’t give up. However long it takes. Don’t count the days, but make the days count!
I wish you all the best on your recovery journey. You are worthy of healing!Follow Journeyofsmiley on WordPress.com
Subscribe here and join my e-mail list to stay up to date!